The Messenger - March/April 2011
Christ is the answer
"I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by Me" (John 14:6).
A Disciple Who Did Not Know The Way
'Thomas saith, how can we know the way?' (John 14:5) i.e. to heaven.
- To arrive at a destination, we may:
Fetch the guidebook, such as an atlas or map. To find the way to heaven our guidebook is the Bible (2Timothy 3:16).
- Find the gateway: in Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress', Pilgrim asks the way and is pointed to a narrow gate. Once inside the gate he follows the narrow way until he sees the cross and the burden of his sin rolls away. He exclaims, 'Blest cross! Blest Sepulchre! Blest rather be the Man that there was put to shame for me' (Matthew 7:13-14).
- Follow the guide. A missionary wanted to reach a remote tribe. Reaching a village he appealed to the chieftain for help to penetrate the jungle. The chieftain introduced him to a member of the tribe he was seeking to reach and said, 'Follow him'. On the gruelling journey the missionary questioned the guide's ability. Drawing himself up to his full height and looking directly at the missionary he said, 'I pioneered this way; just follow me'. So, too, our blessed Lord pioneered the way to heaven, saying to those who aspire to heaven, 'Follow Me. I am the Way'.
A Judge Who Did Not Know The Truth
"And Pilate said unto Him (Jesus) what is Truth?" (John 18:38).
- Jesus is the truth about God - "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him" (John l:18).
- Jesus is the truth about the holiness of God - At the cross the Saviour endured the judgement of God that human sin deserved (2Corinthians 5:21). God in His holiness cannot tolerate sin. He must be true to His character and punish it. That punishment was meted out upon Christ.
- Jesus is the truth about the love of God - At the cross the Saviour exhibited the love of God. He did not die for His friends - the pinnacle of human love - but He died for those who were hostile to His Person. What calibre of love is this! "God commendeth (gives proof of) His love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). The greatest proof of God's love is the cross.
A Wealthy Councillor Who Did Not Know How To
Receive Eternal Life
'What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?' (Matthew 19:16). This gentleman made some mistakes, often perpetuated today:
- He believed that he was capable of doing good when the Bible teaches "there is none that doeth good, no, not one," (Romans 3:12);
He believed that eternal life could be gained whereas the Bible teaches, "it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast,"(Ephesians 2:8-9).
- He believed that eternal life was a reward based on our merit when the Bible teaches "not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us" (Titus 3:5).
He believed that he could hang on to that which he was trusting in (in his case, riches) and still have eternal life but the Bible says, "without faith it is impossible to please God", (Hebrews 11:6). He failed to, 'let go and let God!'
- Three questions raised by three very different people but one answer is sufficient, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life". Christ alone is the answer to our every need.
Written by John Griffiths
Reproduced from "Present Truth Magazine"
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15.13)